Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Breakfast Fruit Crisp

So, now that I have a small life form to hang out with, I no longer work at a chiropractor.  I DO however, still work part-time as a personal chef...cook...person who makes food and brings it to someone.  I need a title.  Personal chef sounds extremely snooty (and leads you to believe that I prepare legendary feasts with French names), "cook" sounds like I slave in the galley of a pirate ship and have sweat dripping into the gruel...this is a problem.  One that's getting worse the more I reason it out.  Let me start over.

So there's a lady here in town that doesn't like to cook.  She DOES however, like to eat.  This is where I fit in.  I cook a full week's worth of meals every Tuesday/Wednesday morning and deliver said meals to my dear sweet client.  She has lost about thirty pounds and seen her cholesterol go back down to a normal range since I started cooking regularly about a year ago.  It's truly a win-win.

I try new things out all the time, and thought I'd try to share something with you each week.  We'll see how long that lasts...  I found this recipe in the "Sugar Solution Cookbook" put out by Prevention.  I made a couple minor changes, but followed it pretty closely.  What makes this a Breakfast crisp, I really don't know.  And honestly, it's a little on the less healthy side than what I usually do, but boy was it tasty...and super easy!

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees, then throw a pound of frozen peaches into a microwave/oven safe dish.  Mix  them together with the whole wheat pastry flour, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.

 Is that even legal?  Soooo secretive, Spice Islands!



Drizzle the lemon juice on top of the peach mixture then microwave on high for eight minutes.  Now.  Normally I'm not a huge fan of microwaving stuff.  But it was so fast!  And easy!  I'm quite sure you could stick it in your oven for a while for the same effect, I'm just not sure how long it would need to be.  Perhaps next time...

Stir in the raspberries.

It was just about here that I realized my 9x9 baking dish was a little large and in charge for this, so I switched it out for a regular pie pan/dish/container/receptacle.


Next up, topping.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, pie spice and salt. 

 Cut your cold butter into smallish cubes and cut it into the dry mixture with the back of a fork...

Until it looks kinda like this:

Stir in the sour cream until combined, then crumble the topping over your awaiting fruit.

Bake for 15 minutes, or until the topping is starting to get golden and the fruit is nice and bubbly.

Enjoy your dessert...errr...breakfast!






No comments:

Post a Comment